Identify Sources of Support and Information for the Setting Up and Running of Your Home Based Childcare Business.

1.6 Identify sources of support and information for the setting up and running of your home based childcare business.

Once deciding to become a child carer you are required to:
Have the appropriate qualifications, training and skills, as set out by the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). This framework ensures all childcare providers – including childminders- adhere to the same guidelines. Local career advisers in colleges can advise you what qualifications are required.
Register as a childminder where you need to attend a local childminding pre-registration briefing session. The session tells you about becoming a childminder. To find out about sessions you would contact the local Family Information Service (in England or Wales), the Scottish Childminding Association in Scotland and the NICMA, the childminding Association in Northern Ireland.
After reading the National Standards and application pack needs to be completed which is given at the briefing session. The form is then returned to your local Ofsted.

We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!

order now

Once you??™ve registered: you need to attend introductory training courses in childcare practice. It is also legal requirement that you hold a current paediatric first aid certificate at the point of registration – this first aid training must be approved by your local authority and must follow guidelines set out in the Early Years Foundation Stage. These approved courses can be sought through the local authority in my area and/ or Family Information Service.

Initial training needs to be completed within six months of registering to become a childminder and provides an introduction to starting a childminding or nanny business. This is the ???first step??™ in an on going career, ongoing training will follow throughout the childminding career.
Essential Training is delivered by the National Childminding Association In England (and Wales), full details can be found on there website.
Once you register you have to Apply to the Criminal Records Bureau for a police check on yourself and anyone in your home aged over 16 in England and Wales (Known as the Disclosure Scotland in Scotland and Access Northern Ireland in northern Ireland).
Have an Ofsted or equivalent body home inspection and suitable person interview, based on the EYFS. Information and advice on this process can be given by the Family Information Service or National Childminding Association.
Start up grants may be eligible in England and Wales to help pay for initial costs involved in starting a childcare business, such as buying toys, safety equipment, insurance, registration fees and other ???tools of the trade??™ , information and help applying for this funding can be found at Jobcentre Plus and/ or local council. lnformation and contact details if you do not know where they are, also any services mentioned above can be found at local libraries, with free access to the internet, local children??™s centres, preschools and midwifery/ health visitor staff at doctors surgeries.

Once receiving your registration certificate you have too:
Apply for public Liability Insurance, if you are planning to use a car, contact current car insurer.
Register as self employed with HM Revenue and Customs, by contacting HMRC self-employed helpline (0845 915 4515) or visit the website where there is advice and an online registration.
The National childminding Association have negotiated special rules for childminders expenses with HM Revenue and Customs, for further information you can contact the NCMA or visit there website.

To begin to set up a childcare business or get ongoing support the services below can help;

Family Information Service (FIS)

The family information service provides free impartial information and guidance on a full range of childcare and children??™s services and resources. The service can help me because it offers help for:
People wishing to set up a new childcare provision
People wishing to become registered childminders and providers of childcare services.
Parents / carers lists of registered childminders in their chosen area with current vacancy information and the services provided which can be important to promoting my business.
Has an early years and childcare sufficiency Team who support existing and prospective providers.

National Childminding Association (NCMA)

NCMA can help you understand you own responsibilities running a childcare business, and can provide you with the tools and support needed to help make a business work, give you help and advice on courses requirements and relevant resources. All information and contact details needed can be found on there website.

The Business support officer
An advisory service offering help starting up a new childcare business and the best way to make it successful. Also offering support for existing childcare services. The business support officer aim to sustain and keep your service open through effective business planning.

Cypop 5 Understand how to set up a home based childcare service Kerry Marie Mills

Pre-learning alliance
Centre code – 779007
Pin- 30115072
URN- 2524517712

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *